Maybe you heard this sad story…
2007 was the year of the great pet food scandal
One of the worse consumer recalls in American history: The Melamine Pet Food Recall of 2007
The contamination and the damage was terrible, more than 180 brands of dog and cat food and treats.
Tens of thousands of animals ate the poisoned foods, and many became sick, some fatally.
They were contaminated with melamine (a chemical used to make plastic and fertilizer) and Cyanuric acid.
The combination of melamine and cyanuric acid forms crystals in the kidneys, potentially leading to renal disease and renal failure.
The consistent symptoms reported include stomach internal bleeding, malfunction or failure of the liver, vomiting, diarrhea and weight loss.
13,242 claimants indicated that their pets died. Another 9,001 indicated that their pets were sick but survived; 1,801 indicated that they took their pets for testing after learning about the recall but the pets did not become sick; and 1,557 claimants did not specify the condition of their pets. Source: Heffler Radetich & Saitta LLP
This same year Toxic jerky treats imported from China resulted in the deaths of over hundreds of dogs.
Toxic jerky treats continue to make dogs ill nine years after the problem was discovered.
Since 2007, the agency has received about 5,300 reports of illnesses associated with pet treats made of chicken, duck, or sweet potatoes.
Those reports have described illnesses in more than 6,200 dogs—of which more than 1,100 died—as well as in about two dozen cats and three people.
Nowadays, health problems caused by dangerous treats are a serious problem.
The processed pet food industry is always on the lookout for new and creative ways to reduce cost and increase profits that´s why the quality of ingredients is low even dangerous.
The deadly contaminants turning up in commercial pet food formulas present a significant, immediate danger to your dog's health.
Interestingly, some of the worst formulas have beautiful packaging & remarkable words. Just remember that what matters is what is inside the packaging.
That's why I'm going to show you...
According to the Pet Poison Helpline
"Propylene glycol is one of the least toxic glycols. It is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water and is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries for a wide variety of reasons. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol may be used as antifreeze and can be found in high concentrations".
This chemical has banned by the FDA for use in cat food and treats.
According to the FDA, propylene glycol is presumably safe in small doses in dogs.
Sadly, Toxic levels for propylene glycol in dogs have not been established, but regular consumption of this additive over an extended period of time, the dog is receiving continuous, long-term exposure to the dangerous stuff.
Can cause Heinz body hemolytic anemia, a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed.
Food dyes are one of the most widely used and dangerous additives.
According to a CSPI report, some food dyes may be linked to numerous forms of cancer, along with hyperactivity and other behavioral problems.
Adding colors to food can make them look a lot more appealing, That's the reason why the industry uses them.
The most common food dyes used today are:
An unpublished study suggested the possibility that Blue 1 caused kidney tumors in mice, and a preliminary in vitro study raised questions about possible effects on nerve cells.
cannot be considered safe given the statistically significant incidence of tumors, particularly brain gliomas, in male rats.
Is toxic to rodents at modest levels and caused tumors of the urinary bladder and possibly other organs.
Caused significant increases in bladder and testes tumors in male rats.
Was recognized in 1990 by the FDA as a thyroid carcinogen in animals and is banned in cosmetics and externally applied drugs.
The most-widely used dye, may accelerate the appearance of immune-system tumors in mice. The dye causes hypersensitivity (allergy-like) reactions in a small number of consumers and might trigger hyperactivity in children.
It may be contaminated with several cancer-causing chemicals. In addition, Yellow 5 causes FOOD DYES A Rainbow of Risks vi sometimes-severe hypersensitivity reactions in a small number of people and might trigger hyperactivity and other behavioral effects in children.
It may be contaminated with cancer-causing chemicals and occasionally causes severe hypersensitivity reactions.
More commonly known as butylated hydroxytoluene It´s used as a food additive and preservative to prevent fats and oils in food from turning rancid.
According to U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES BHT is a potential Carcinogenicity.
Have the capacity to produce cancer in animals.
(BHA), Also known as butylated hydroxyanisole.
It´s another food additive used in the dog food industry to prevent auto-oxidation of fatty acids.
According to U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in experimental animals.
Ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative used in some dog food/treats and is also used as a pesticide and a rubber preservative.
The FDA has received reports of health issues that pet owners and some veterinarians suspected could be linked to ethoxyquin in pet foods, such as allergic reactions, skin problems, major organ failure, behavior problems, and cáncer.
The FDA says it's safe as long as levels stay low. But regular consumption of this additive over an extended period can be dangerous.
Propyl gallate, may be responsible for causing a potentially dangerous health issue for dogs. This antioxidant preservative It is also used to protect oily products from oxidation.
New research suggests that propyl gallate is an "endocrine disruptor that can lead to developmental, reproductive and/or neurological problems, according to the National Institutes of Health, including fertility issues and an increased risk of some cancers.
TBHQ Also known as tertiary butylhydroquinone. It is a fat preservative that prolongs shelf life.
Long-term, high doses of TBHQ in laboratory animals have shown a tendency for the animals to develop cancerous precursors in their stomachs and begin to present DNA damage.
It´s essential that you learn How to Read a Dog Food Label because is the only way to offer your dog a healthy nutrition